Plans for the Summer? We’ve Got You Covered While You’re in Lansing
Every year our family has big plans and trips we feel make summer, well – summer. This year, I want to add another layer of fun to the days we are sticking around town. We are going to try checking off as many fun things on this list as we can during the summer break months.
Read on for fun ideas all Summer long, events for the whole family, and a list of great road trips from Lansing!
Ideas for Summer Fun, Every Day, All Summer Long
Keep the kids busy all summer with this sweet bucket list of Lansing Family Fun.
- Swim, Splash, Play – Try out a new water location or make it every one. There are so many options to stay cool this summer in our Water Play Guide.
- Play at an epic park. Make your own park bucket list using our guide.
- Pick fruit at many locations around our area. A couple great spots are:
- Visit Uncle John’s Cider Mill. There’s always something fun going on at Uncle John’s! Check out their event calendar or just stop by. Don’t miss the Vintage Market in August.
- Enjoy a walk through the MSU Children’s Garden Center/Horticulture Center or attend one of their story times in the garden.
- Explore Fenner Nature Center The warm weather and trails can make for an amazing adventurous day.
- Treck through Woldamar nature center’s many trails. Run around, climb, play at their nature park, and explore the fun on-site exhibits and structures.
- Visit our many farmers markets
- Kayak in downtown Lansing with River Town Adventures. It’s easy and fun for the whole family.
- Bike the Lansing/MSU River Trail with Riverfront Cycle, River Town Adventures, and MSU Bike Service Center.
- Get out on the bike track at Capitol Area BMX or just watch all of the action and fun from Nip N’ Sip.
- Race at Grand Woods Park’s RC Car Track or go Disk Golfing in their trails along the Grand River.
- Visit the Animals at Potter Park Zoo. FREE for Ingham county residents on non-holiday Mondays from 9am -Noon.
- Visit and feed Horses at MSU.
- Play a game of soccer at Beacon Field.
- Visit a garden:
- Go horseback riding at Sundance Riding Stables or Northfork Farms and Outback.
- Try out High Ropes Courses in Howell, MI
- Take a Nature Hike:
- Visit the Brenke Fish Ladder in Old Town.
- Drive in to a Drive-In Movie in Coldwater, MI.
- Get out of the sun and into air conditioning for a bit and Play Indoors.
Your List of Summer Events for the Whole Family
Know what’s happening every day with our monthly calendars. Check out these highlights you won’t want to miss.
- Be a Tourist in Your Own Town and have a $1 staycation. June 2.
- Experience Lansing’s Concert in the Park Series. Wednesdays from June 13 to Aug. 1.
- Catch an LCC Amphitheater Performance in June and July.
- Sharpe Park is a family favorite. Many scope out their spots each year but no matter where you choose to watch them – they are fantastic.
- Downtown Lansing – Schedule a kayak from River Town Adventures or bring your own boat for an awesome view.
- Lansing Lugnuts
- Think yours are the best? Comment below and tell us your favorite view or location.
- Watch the Fourth of July Parade in Downtown Lansing.
- See an Outdoor Movie:
- Go to the Car and Bus Races at Speedway. Cheer the busses on or watch the crazy eights for a blast of a night with family and friends!
- Get away at a Summer Camp in Greater Lansing.
- Go to Greater Lansing’s Festivals
Your List for Road Trips from Lansing
Want to get out of town for a bit? Here are some great go-to options that are fun and safe for the whole family.
A family favorite is St. Joseph where you’ll enjoy the beach, a splash pad, and more! Our other go-to spots are Tunnel Park in Holland, Lakeside Beach in Port Huron including a splash pad, and South Haven Beach for one of the prettiest sunsets you’ll see. Where do you like to beach it during the Summer?
- Go Camping!
Trek up north or stay around town! Where does your family like to camp? Hawk Hollow is a great spot to take a quick camping trip if you want to stay close to home.
- Head over to Detroit.
Go on a bike ride through Dequindre Cut and land at the splash pad in front of the Renaissance Center to cool off. Cross the bridge to Belle Isle to swim at the beach and slide on a burlap bag down the huge slide.
- Go to a Festival in Grand Rapids.
They have something going on all summer long!
- The Ann Arbor Summer Festival is like none other!
There’s lots to do with kids and amazing entertainment on into the night during this week long event.
Lansing’s Great Bucket List Challenge
So, who’s with me? I’ll race you! Let’s check in at the end of the summer and talk about all the fun places we’ve made it to and discuss our favorites.
Happy Summering, Lansing!